Jargon Buster

What does it mean?

The following are words/terms used on this website:

  • Cylinder – There are several names for this including, barrel, euro cylinder + profile cylinder. This is the lock that fits into a door, normally an uPVC, IG or Composite door.
  • Mortise Lock – Also known as sash or deadlock; this lock fits into wooden doors.
  • Lock Picks – A set of tools that are used to ‘pick locks’, they are a few inches in length and fit into a cylinder, the aim is to push the pins down.
  • Tension Tool – This is part of the Lock pick set (the left 2 picks on picture above). This helps pull the cylinder in the direction for unlocking the cylinder.